Sunday, December 6, 2009

Be careful what you ask for!

Well you got me. I'm back by popular demand (o.k. so maybe it was only like 3 people that asked me to continue blogging, but still). It is unlikely that I will post everyday as I did previously but I will probably post somewhat regularly (weekly perhaps). So let's get to it.

I have been back to work now for about a week and a half. Rachel and I have gotten a pretty good system down where I take Noah to daycare and she picks him up. The going to work part is not a problem. I'd rather be at home for sure but am lucky to work with great people (including some of my students believe it or not) and the days seem to really fly by. Taking Noah to daycare while I was on leave seemed to help Noah with his transition and definitely helped me with being able to say goodbye to him each morning. It is a little different though when you know you are going to be dropping him for the whole day. One difference is just how I say goodbye. When I was leaving him for an hour or so I would just say "Now you be a good boy, see you soon" and just be on my way. Now I'll say goodbye and tell him to have a good day and I'll kiss him on the head. Then Linda will talk for a few minutes and I start thinking that by this time that first kiss has worn off so I give him another one. I'm pretty sure when all is said and done I have kissed him like 12 times each morning. It's hard, but I know he is being taken care of. I enjoy my time with him in the car on the way to daycare. Although it is only a few minutes it makes the first part of my commute enjoyable. I talk to him and tell him that I hope he has a lot of fun and knows that Rachel and I love him very much. It seems silly, but I also tell him to be a good boy and to be nice to Linda (I mean how much trouble is he going to get into?) He hasn't cried yet on the way to daycare or while I've walked out the door (hopefully he never will; that will be tough). In the afternoons Rachel will pick him up and I usually stay at work a little bit longer than I used to. I do this for two reasons. First, I used to go to work early to get work done, but now I can't because of taking Noah to daycare and second, and more importantly it gives Rachel some time alone with Noah. We were nervous that with Noah going to daycare that we would both fight over getting some face time with him. This way Rachel gets some time with him and then I can hang out with him when I get in. It seems to work for us and I think it is less overwhelming for Noah than if we both were in his face and making funny noises and giving him kisses. We're like his paparazzi. We watch everything he does and follow him around, trying to take great photos of him to share on the Internet. We'll see how it goes this week. Thanks for following.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're back (back to blogging, not back to school), and that you made it through the first week or so! :)

    Have you accidentally taken him all the way to work with you yet? Here's hoping that accidentally happens one day --- and that it's a good laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete