Friday, January 1, 2010

Noah's first Christmas



What do you get a 4 month old for Christmas? I'll save you some time. It doesn't matter what it is. Truth be told I knew this little nugget of information but I still hemmed and hawed over what to get Noah for his first Christmas gift. I realized that he was probably going to be more interested in the wrapping paper but I still felt the need to get him something "cool." Rachel and I decided that we would each get Noah a gift without telling each other what it was. Should I get him something fun (there are so many cool toys out there even for little guys like Noah) or something practical (he goes through like 8 diapers a day)? In the end I decided on a little bit of both. From talking with Linda at daycare I have found out that Noah really enjoys those little cloth books (they taste good). I found a cute Baby Einstein cloth book with crinkly pages that you can slide pictures into. For Noah's practical gift, I purchased a tray attachment for a Bumbo chair (this chair allows him to sit upright and gives him lots of support so he doesn't fall over) so that he could sit up and play. Rachel gave Noah a board book about rainbows and an awesome Spiderman shirt (you probably thought I was going to get him one...what a twist!). We opened presents together Christmas Eve morning and then we loaded everything up in the car to celebrate Christmas with my Dad and brother in Virginia Beach.

For your information if you want to travel any significant distance with your infant, you should probably just get yourself a U-Haul. The car was packed to the brim (I had to stash my running clothes and shoes under the driver's seat!). Our dog was relegated to the back of the SUV with the Christmas presents. Rachel and I shared a bag while Noah had the rest of the vehicle to himself. It was as if he was a rockstar and we were merely his roadies (he already has a fan club). We brought diapers, clothes, burp cloths, medicines, bottles, bottle cleaning supplies, a pack and play, video monitor, playmat...you get the idea (it was a lot). Actually, we forgot a couple of things. It would have been great to have had a Baby Bjorn (although my arms got a killer workout from holding this fifteen pounder for hours at a time) and maybe the Bumbo or bouncy seat. The trip itself was great. Noah slept pretty much the whole way and Rachel and I had time to catch up.

Virginia Beach was a great time. My Dad did a wonderful job decorating the house and setting up the tree. Noah loved seeing all the lights and enjoyed opening presents from Santa. Noah seems to confuse wrapping paper with fruit roll ups because he tried to put each type of paper in his mouth (maybe he thought it came in different flavors). There were several bows that caught his attention and he was also interested in his Christmas stocking (hung by the chimney with care...of course). Some of the gift highlights were pajamas, burp cloths, DIAPERS, and various noise making toys all of which was overshadowed by the paper in which they were wrapped. Noah's Aunt Emily (Rachel's sister) wrote a children's book for Noah and actually made stuffed toys of the main characters.

It was a wonderful time, well spent with family and friends. I can't believe it has come and gone, but Noah's year of "firsts" continues. Merry Christmas and happy New Year to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment