Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day Zero - "Enjoy your time off"

Tomorrow is the day. My first full day at home alone with my son Noah. I want to preface this by saying I know that it is not going to be easy. My wife amazes me and she has done a phenomenal job with Noah while I was at work. I can't say that I lost much sleep at all while she was running the show. It is my hope that I can keep things going while she gets back to business and get Noah ready for when we have to begin daycare (not ready for that yet, lets talk about it later). Tonight is a great mixture of feelings: joy, excitement, anxiety, fear,a cramp in my left leg (probably unrelated to fatherhood). Many people have said to me "enjoy your time off" but I don't see it that way. I mean I have two degrees for my other job. I know what I'm doing there, I'm confident (maybe too confident) and feel that I can handle any situation. There was no degree required for Noah and no manual for him either. There are times when he is crying and I have no clue why, and I can't make it stop, and to be honest I feel a bit like a failure. So I don't know about time off, if anything it is my time on, my time to be a Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Ian...great idea for a blog. Likely to be the first one I ever follow! I understand your thoughts on "time off/on." Reminds me of people who will see me out in a store with the kids and ask "Are you babysitting tonight?" After a polite laugh, I'm thinking, "No, they're my kids. I'm raising them tonight."
    John

    ReplyDelete